View Single Post
      08-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #286
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Some work on the rear shock mount conversion

As per my previous post I am converting the rear shock mounts to M3 style, and also lengthening the shock at the same time.

I purchased some 1020 mild steel and made the lower shock eye. Its not easy work on the mini lathe, but managed to get it done. I bored out the hole to accept a lemforder ball joint and am reasonably happy with the achieved sizing.

I do not have a mill so I will get a coworker who has a mill to do the milling of the flat on it.

I have not measured the KW competition shock yet, nor disassembled the lower shock mount. I have prevously tried to uncrew the lower mount but had no luck, since there was no easy way to hold onto the shock firmly to uncrew the bottom mount. What I will most likely have to do is to weld on a nut on the mount and rattle it off with the biggest impact gun I have. I can forsee it being a real pain.

I will specify the custom lower shock mount length once I have everything disassembled and compared to the rear M3 shocks. The M3 shocks should give me a good reference on what a 'correct' shock length and shock travel should be. As you can see from the CAD diagram, still a lot more parts to make
Attached Images