View Single Post
      03-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #22
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2008 Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex View Post
"Do not make any alterations to the turbocharger. Never attempt to alter the boost-pressure control linkage. The turbocharger has been optimally configured at the factory. If the turbocharger operates at higher boost pressures that permitted by he engine manufacturer, the engine may run hot and pistons, cylinder heads or engine bearings may fail, or the safety function of the engine electronics may respond an activate the engine's limp-home program."

This last section particularly interested me. Coming from a subie where pretty much everything is mechanical...to this where everything is controlled by computers, i get a little worried about going crazy with mods.

my intentions were to go with IC/chip/exhaust. But i see some companies increase boost up to 14psi while others only bump it up a little. When i got a boost controller on my wrx, I only bumped it up a lb and i felt a noticeable difference, and that was only a BC and not a chip.

So i worry that the chips that bump it up too much may run inline with that statement that said the engine could run too hot. While this may not pose any problems in the first year...what about when the 4yr/50k (some people can put 50k on in a year btw) mile warranty runs up and you have blown engine... I wouldn't even want to think about how much that would cost
I too am curious about this. If I do a JB+ or a JB3 what will that do to the longevity of my engine? I am honestly pretty happy with the stock power of this car. I may not change anything at all...
Appreciate 0