03-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #54
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 135i

Garage List
Spring update

Just wanted to post up a couple things I've been working over the last couple months while we patiently await warmer track weather here in New England.

New parts:
CAE shifter
CAE XXS DSSR adjustable shift rod
Turner 80A engine mounts
ECS 80A poly trans mounts
Turner solid RSFB
VRSF catless downpipes
VSRF downpipe fix
$100 eBay air dam

CAE thoughts:
This thing is amazing*!! No slop. Very notchy, well defined gates. No wasted motion with considerably shorter throws.
*Well, amazing once it worked correctly.

CAE model selection:
So here is the deal. CAE makes an e82 specific model. Long story short I got the "generic" BMW model as a gift and I had some install issues that may or may not be related to shifter model. Jake from Hard Motorsport says mechanically they are identical and the only issue comes with center console reinstall (the e82 model has a smaller footprint and does not require drilling into the tunnel). From what I can see on the CAE site the "generic" BMW model has shorter throws and a taller shift lever so mechanically identical seems like a stretch.

CAE install:
Turner did the install and 40 miles later the shift rod twisted when trying to engage reverse gear and everything was misaligned (Reverse was gone and 1st gear was now in the reverse gate and so on down the line). Remember, I had chosen the adjustable CAE DSSR which has a nut/collar to keep the two halves from rotating or extending. Back at Turner they blamed it on poor CAE DSSR design and using the "generic" CAE shifter instead of the e82 specific model. Hard Motorsport says there has never been a reported issue involving rotation of this "Motorsport tested" part and it was 100% install error (over tightening the grub screw at the base of the shifter).

CAE install, take 2:
Turner realigned the DSSR and tack welded it in place to prevent rotation. I presume they changed their approach with the grub screw although they claimed install was correct the first time. Reinstall of the center console required a little trimming and loss of the storage tray which may or may not be related to the non-e82 model.

80A Engine/Trans mounts:
The 80A certainly introduced some additional NVH into the cabin, most of which is engine vibration that can be felt in the steering wheel and your butt cheeks. I chose 80A over solid because I still drive the car to the track and his seemed like a good compromise.

Solid RSFB:
I was very late to the party on this one but they are finally done. No need to duplicate the praises already documented here in the forums.

VRSF DP/DP fix:
Fitment was perfect. Absolutely no issues and the DP fix worked perfectly, showing readiness for OBD state inspection. I used the default setting. Expect exactly what you've read here in the forums (70's muscle car odor, neighbors who will shoot you if you cold start it while they are sleeping, etc).

$100 eBay air dam:
I got this to sandwich between my bumper and splitter to lower the splitter and close up gaps created by the bumper's contours. I have a write up on this, just search the forums. Fitment was a comically bad but you can make it work with patience and a Dremel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
berns1564.50
BimmerAg425.00