Thread: 160+
View Single Post
      08-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The speed limiter is a "soft" one. It seems to be speed based rather than rpm based. I have hit it on a light throttle at only 1/3 of a pedal!! Here is a pic I took back in March.

I have read posts where some cars will show 160 mph and some 151mph and everywhere in between. I think it depends on the speedo head and colibration and the tire brand. I know that my car reads 155 mph when it hits the limiter. On my TomTom is reads 240 kph at that same 255kph on the speedo.

One thing is for sure... the short wheel base of our 1er's and the (lousy) suspension make for a nervous drive at those speeds. It is NOT confidence inspiring to say the least. Our cars get twitchy after 130 mph. I can feel the car change at 110 mph and up... it could be better engineer'd I think. But by 130 and up you are really paying attenstion and making small corrections in tracking straight ahead. Then again... it wasn't TOO NERVOUS since I was able to take some pics at that speed driving one handed! lol

Yes, a V-box would settle what are cars real top speed is.

I have heard good things about WSM Tachometerdienst GmbH, in Darmstadt. But there work costs some serious dough over here like all things for these cars. Bring your euro check book, EC card! lol
Appreciate 0