View Single Post
      02-07-2018, 01:35 AM   #26
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTime View Post
Sorry for the late reply. Your words are so beautiful, thank you. If only you lived closer to me, I would buy you a beer or two just to talk to you more about BMW engines, as well as their history of racing. It's funny, because, I have become somewhat infatuated with finding an M3 that I can turn into my dedicated track car. I have, for obvious reasons, fallen in love with the E46, but I am torn (hilariously) between E36, E46, and E92 M3s...

I am good friends with a lot of people who work for BMW Manufacturing here in the US. They are engineers and leaders of new development, and they are helping to create, test, and perfect the BMWs of the next generation. As impressive as they are, and some of them really are --- I am constantly drawn to older BMWs. But I have to say... the longer that I am here... I feel like a certain pinnacle was reached with the E9x and the S65.
Thanks for our kind words and would love to share a beer if I ever visit SC. let me know if you're travelling to AUS too ;-).

About M-based track cars, I think the e36 or e46 would be a great base. I'm afraid the e92 may be on the porky side even completely stripped. I've seen somewhere that the e36 offer the best value/performance equation and make great race cars...

I think you just pointed out the thing that is frustrating with BMW: they have a ton of good people working for them. It just seems that the top management is not so good anymore. In deciding to go mainstream and fill all the niches, they have diluted the brand tremendously. You can do SUV's and still maintain the prestige of a brand: just look at Porsche! They don't have ton of products, just the right ones.

And I'm not even talking about the Electric revolution. I was hopeful when BMW started their i business, but a stupid city car and a so-so supercar have squashed my hopes. Now they will be left in the dust when Porsche launches their Mission E later this year, which looks to become the gold standard for performance electric cars, even compared to Tesla.

I too am drawn to the older cars and at the same time I'm fascinated by what the electric cars bring to the table as far as packaging, design, technology etc... So why not have both ;-)

Cheers!
DreamTime864.50