View Single Post
      02-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #27
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Thanks for our kind words and would love to share a beer if I ever visit SC. let me know if you're travelling to AUS too ;-).

About M-based track cars, I think the e36 or e46 would be a great base. I'm afraid the e92 may be on the porky side even completely stripped. I've seen somewhere that the e36 offer the best value/performance equation and make great race cars...
Dang, lololol I do love the E9x generation, but that is a funny statement. I almost bought an E46 recently for my track car, but my mechanic talked me out of it because he though an E92 would be a better choice for me. The vast majority of my track friends suggest I get an E36. I am in love with the E46. So, this has proved to be a difficult choice for me lol.

Quote:
I think you just pointed out the thing that is frustrating with BMW: they have a ton of good people working for them. It just seems that the top management is not so good anymore. In deciding to go mainstream and fill all the niches, they have diluted the brand tremendously. You can do SUV's and still maintain the prestige of a brand: just look at Porsche! They don't have ton of products, just the right ones.
Yes, I completely agree. I understand that as an auto manufacturer, you need to offer what the masses want if you want to survive. However, it does seem like BMW has lost a bit of the soul that makes it BMW. I think you have made a good point about Porsche. I feel like the takeaway from that would be - it is better to be great at a few things than mediocre at many things.

Quote:
And I'm not even talking about the Electric revolution. I was hopeful when BMW started their i business, but a stupid city car and a so-so supercar have squashed my hopes. Now they will be left in the dust when Porsche launches their Mission E later this year, which looks to become the gold standard for performance electric cars, even compared to Tesla.

I too am drawn to the older cars and at the same time I'm fascinated by what the electric cars bring to the table as far as packaging, design, technology etc... So why not have both ;-)

Cheers!
You know, growing up in CA I developed an appreciation for electric cars from a young age. I remember seeing car charging stations at malls when i was a kid, way before it was even a thing anywhere else in the country. And, I adore Tesla. They make amazing cars. Electric cars are fascinating, yes, and they are the way of the future for sure. I just can't help myself when it comes to the sound, feel, and overall driving experience of a perfectly crafted combustion engine paired with rear wheel drive and a manual transmission. I'm a sucker for that stuff... I think you might be on to something though, having both is not a bad idea
Appreciate 0