View Single Post
      06-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #54
cptgonzo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i sport pkg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red914 View Post
No issues with battery drain leaving the OBDII adapter plugged in at all times? I have a Bluetooth adapter that is small enough that I can even put the OBDII cover on with it plugged in but I think it stays powered and running even when the car is off. Also with the Bluetooth adapter the passcode is really simple and insecure so I am slightly worried about someone seeing my OBDII and potentially messing up my car. Is the wifi adapter more secure? Can you set the passcode or is it at least something longer than 4 characters and random?
When the vehicle is shut off the OBDII port gets power killed to it as well after a couple seconds. Mine is WIFI though and not bluetooth. Try to connect to the bluetooth when your cars been off for a couple minutes, I would guess you would not be able to connect due to lack of power to the OBDII. I didn't set a pass-code for the car, I figure that anyone trying to mess with the car would have to be in it knowing I had the device, as well as have the appropriate software/apps to mess with it. Now that you mention it though, thinking I'll go back and make a passcode just to be on the paranoid/safe side. Not sure about more secure or the type of P/W assuming it'll be just like WEP/WAP standard.
Appreciate 0