08-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #14
Skers 05
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 1M Clone, '11 328i, '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
It could be that you over torqued your strut bearing top net ?

When I did my B12 kit, I didn't tighten the strut bearing (22 or 21mm)nut enough and it caused all sort of knocking noises on my first test drive. I did my install myself too. A few zaps with my cordless impact gun, fixed my issue.

There is also a paper gasket that goes between the strut bearing and the body of the car. This gasket is important bc it allows you to swing the strut in and out when adjusting camber from side to side.

B12 Bilsteins and Eibach springs. (I know you have a different setup).
Attachment 2114419

Attachment 2114420

Dinan camber plates and the 21mm(?) nut.
Attachment 2114422
I would be cautious about using an impact on a strut/damper rod. Doing so can unscrew the nut of the bottom of the piston rod if it is not staked in from the factory. This will create a knocking noise you won't be able to find unless you remove the strut/damper from the car and open it up. Might not be a big deal on your parts (as I don't believe they are serviceable, could be wrong), but on a rebuildable strut/damper this is of concern.

A better solution to tighten the mount to the rod would be to use a see through socket (link below) with an Allen key socket holding the rod stationary.

https://www.bostitch.com/products/to...-set/btmt72287
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10531.50