View Single Post
      09-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #75
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
Some articles I read on the product indicated otherwise. Most of them indicated that Water Wetter by itself doesn't help cool down the engine. Water wetter is more like an additive to the water to keep all the seals and piping lubricated. Water by itself is going to cool down faster than the coolant and that is where you will see the benefit. I don't know of anyone using the product with the coolant but I know it is compatible. I guess adding it to 50/50 mix just makes it 40/60, so partial benefit might be there.
Can you quote or link the articles? I've been using water wetter for over 10 years in cooling systems with and without anti-freeze; and before that we used to put a few drops of liquid soap in the cooling system, it essentially does the same thing.

Obviously you are going to get a larger temperature drop when using just water, and a bottle of water wetter, but that is due to the greater heat transfer of a purer mix of water vs water/antifreeze. To suggest that water wetter product itself is "more effective" in a %100 distilled environment is incorrect.

The water wetter is still going to increase heat transfer by reducing surface tension in any mixture.

Here is the link to some of the tech specs of the product:

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...ech%20Info.pdf

Note the graph on page 1, right hand side.

DYNO TEST RESULTS
Dynomometer tests performed by Malcolm Garrett
Racing Engines showed significant improvements in
coolant temperatures using WaterWetter®. These
tests were performed with a Chevrolet 350 V-8 with a
cast iron block and aluminum cylinder heads. The
thermostat temperature was 160°F. The engine operated
at 7200 rpm for three hours and the stabilized
cooling system temperature was recorded and tabulated
below:
Cooling System Fluid Stabilized Temperature
50% Glycol/ 50% Water 228°F
50/50 with WaterWetter® 220°F
Water 220°F
Water with WaterWetter® 202°F
These numbers are similar to the temperatures
recorded in track use and heavy-duty street use.
Appreciate 0