08-31-2018, 09:49 PM   #21
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz108 View Post
Interesting, I am arms deep into this job right now. I am doing it with another person because honestly, you need another set of eyes when doing this job.

It's not as easy for a novice as the multiple forums make it out to be. I have researched this job for almost 2 weeks. It took me close to 5 hours to take the valve cover off.

The following thread has been my primary go to thread for this job, it discusses the pelican parts write-up (top notch) and the fcp euro write-up (decent). https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990348
I have also used this thread - https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1484438
They did a good job explaining the trouble areas. Note - the video is not worth spending 1.5 hrs watching.

My 2 biggest hang ups were the stupid breather hose clamp (backing the PCV hose from the breather valve in the back of the valve cover) and getting the metal spark plug tubes out with snap ring pliers. Moreover, the tight space in the back made it very difficult to remove the bolts in the rear, you need different extensions and swivels to reach back there.

Last but not least, even with making room by removing the wiper shield, the valve cover barely has enough clearance to remove. I kept on getting it stuck on the valve train, I had to wiggle the cover for over 45 minutes until I was finally able to get the fucker off.

My cost on the parts including the spark plug tubes have been $431 + a little over a hundred for tools needed to do the job. This job is not for the faint of heart, it's not difficult but very frustrating/time consuming. I was hoping to finish this up today but called it a day after taking the Valve cover off.

I was quoted 1300 by an indy for this job, they suspected the cover was cracked so I ordered the cover. I don't see any visible cracks on the old valve cover, however, I am still going to replace it since I have a new genuine VC and it is a plastic part known to crack over time. I'd recommend replacing it with a new VC, especially since you are more likely to damage it when removing, fortunately, I did not damage my old VC.

The plan is to install the new VC tomorrow - hopefully with ease. I'll report back with my findings.

Cheers.
Awesome, thank you very much. I have quite a lot of tools available but haven't looked into all required
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0