11-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #31
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Hmmm, I'm almost positive it's the brakes. After repeated heavy braking it feels like the whole car is shaking (front and rear) not just the steering wheel. The more I brake the worse it gets. I don't have much of an issue with light braking or lower speed situations, it's after those rotors and pads heat up when things get bad. Also had the front arms and bushings replaced about 20k miles ago so they should be good
You could pick up a cheap set of run-out dial indicators from say Harbor Freight. Remove the front wheels and check the run out on the brake rotors as you turn the rotor by hand.

You might also remove the brake rotor and check for rust(buildup) between the brake disc and hub. This area should be shinny new steel... and NOT rusty. You could use a flex disc or angle cutter with the correct disc(or 3M scotch pad) to clean up the hub and rotor. You don't want to use a wire brush as this doesn't remove metal, it just polishes it up. You want clean, fresh, flat steel for the rotor to sit flush on the hub. Many people skip over this step when replacing their brakes.

See 18:15...

~05:00...

IF it's warped brake rotors... you will feel a vibration/pulsation in only in the brake pedal.

IF you feel the vibration in the steering wheel(only under braking!) & in car(seat of your pants)... it's a worn suspension component, like the thrust rod bushings.

Dackel
Appreciate 0