View Single Post
      07-19-2020, 06:24 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Nice, thanks!

Thinking about the software investigation potential, I have a plan of sorts when asking about a repair:

Pull any codes even though check engine light hasn't come on (I have Carly and can do this one myself)
This procedure above or similar done via software to check limits and see the results - gives a chance to ask about calibrating later if replaced
Ask about motor vs. sensor as internet searching says both have been the fix
Ask for a description of how the motor works, why it would rattle, if nothing else than to gauge their understanding of how it actually all actually works (and if they could do a competent repair)
Ask about not replacing the shaft itself if not needed, and how it can be checked (i.e. smooth movement / rotation, wear)

Well it's not an awesome plan but to feel out the ability to fix it without spending money needlessly.

Dang, car's an '11 but only 29k miles on it. Some things fail over time, most with use, I'd expect this to be fine for much longer. I did have the VANOS bolts done a while back and I know there's some interrelationship there. Hope they didn't botch something. The rattle's only appeared recently though so I suppose not.

I've sent some shortcuts to my desktop of various repairs and posts about it after finding more about what to look for. I saw bbnks2 apparently with this issue in the past and recognize the user name, wonder if he might weigh in as well?
Appreciate 0