01-21-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEmm View Post
I searched a bit and didn't see anything but please let me know if this has been covered before.

For background, I have a 2011 6MT (sulev) 128i with zero mods and pretty base that I bought in August 2013 and have had basically zero problems with besides a few small completely unrelated issues (cracked 3rd brake light and similar stuff).

But now, twice in the past few weeks, when I cornered even somewhat aggressively (not overly so, not getting the back end out or anything) and then gave it a bit of gas (definitely not WOT) I get a "service engine now" light and my car feels like it goes into limp mode. By limp mode I mean it feels like it's struggling and power was cut in half.

First thought was fuel pump but I'm not totally convinced. To note, the first time this happened I had about 1/3rd of a tank of gas and was going up hill, second time I had 1/2 a tank and it was mostly flat (slight incline) and had been on the road for ~45 minutes.

Also, after it happens if I shut the car off for 5-10 seconds and start it up again it's fine.

Any thoughts before I give in and bring this thing to the dealership to get scanned? Appreciate any guidance!
1. Scan for codes
2. How many miles and are you original owner? (maybe previous owner put on a tune?)
3. Less important but what tires (i.e are you running slicks or r-comps)?
4. Me thinks clogged injector...