View Single Post
      09-01-2010, 03:58 AM   #48
jdmorris
Rep
Drives: 1999 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
The "hybrid" clue that Scott mentions could allude to the fact that 1M's N54 has been modified to produce the 370 ft./lbs / 340HP output at all time, and not just in overboost mode.

Just my hypothesis...
I think you nailed it. Take a 135i and add M3 mirrors, M3 suspension arms, M3 brakes, M3 wheels, M3 diff, a couple custom body panels, some new seats based on the M3's seats, and then slap the 'is' N54 in there, add a custom exhaust and a custom intake tract that both make some sexy noises but pass noise requirements, and sell it as an entirely new car. Cheap and easy. I suspect that since Scott was originally talking about a future M3 N55 variant going in the car that clearly didn't work out, as he stated, that the engineers had to do something super quick and all they had to work with was the 'is' motor and the opportunity for bigger air and oil coolers and a new intake and muffler. It'll be a disappointment to some but as a prospective long term owner (HPFP problems and typical BMW warranty BS excepted) it works for me!

JD
Appreciate 0