09-01-2010, 06:35 AM   #50
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
We had initially toyed with the idea of an 1M when we were conceiving the Coupe and did work with evaluation models then using the engine from the
E46 and the upgraded E46 CSL engine but it proved to be too heavy for the car....

... Valvetronic was the main cause of the time delay but BMW have spent some time on this and are using the N55 as a basis for the next M3.

The best way to describe the engine of the 1M is a "Hybrid" but in the original form of Hybrid, nothing to do with "alternatives", but it is not a straightforward transplant.

There is a lot of this car that will carry over for the next generation 1M ...
Just re reading what Scott's had written and I feel there is still a few possibilites... I feel the key sentence is " but it is not a straightforward transplant" - that to me means they have done something to it to make it better. If it is just a N54 with a higher output - it would have been straight forward.

As the cat converter in both the N55 and the S63 are incorporated with the twinscroll, the indication that it had cats in the midpipes tells us it is likely to have a N54 tubo setup - ie twin turbo and not twinscroll twin turbo or twinscroll.

So, what else has M got at the moment apart from twinscroll twin turbo? One thing that no one has mentioned is the CCM - cylinder-bank comprehensive manifold - which may be incorporated with the twin turbos. However, I don't know if it requires twinscroll for it to work as there's no detail of this technology.

As the N55 was an issue with valtronic - I guess the other logical choice of what ///M has was the S54 plant that was deemed too heavy.

Is it possible that they have built a new S54 block as an aluminium block and mate it with the turbos? That would confirm why some early reports that the 1M is going to be powered by the S54 as it was actually tested with the S54.

Or is it going to be a N54 with CCM incorporated?

Who knows, but after reading this again, especially when scott said it's not a straight forward transplant which means that it is definitely not just a N54 with better cooling because it's already available as a power kit.

My hopes is up again .
Appreciate 0