///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Red, hello again, especially since our cars are "boat brothers" glad to hear you are still on here.

OK, so I have strong opinions on bloating the 1M but the clear bra thing is more gray than black and white for me. You live in Utah and have real winter so I can see why so many of you do the clear bra. Personally, I do not like it. I will never buy a car with clear bra installed. I have seen too many that are 8-9 years old and they look terrible old. So it is not for me here in SoCal. Maybe the current generation of clear bra will look good in 8-9 years but I don't want to risk it. I prefer a few paint chips that I can touch up to the difference in color when old.

So, since I don't have a clear bra, this is the next best thing for autocrossing, track, Euro Delivery or long road trips IMO.

Clear bra is semi-permanent. If you damage it, you have to take it back to the clear bra guy and have it replaced for a good amount of money. Not sure how much but I'm sure more than an application of Trakktape. If you damage trakktape, you just peel it off when you are done and it doesn't leave any residue if used for three days from my personal experience. I cannot vouch for longer duration since that is as long as I have kept it. However, Papethova kept it longer.

I would say that if you are going on the track or autocross, I would even put this on top of your clear bra.

So that is the difference. I guess if clear bra was much cheaper and you can get it replaced more often, it would be easier than Trakktape?
Sorry for the partial highjack, but since you guys mentioned clear-bra and being semi-permanent, I had a question. Have it on my other car and after 4 yrs it has yellowed badly (even though the car is blue you can still see it yellowing). I want to take it out (likely the last clear-bra I'll ever install on a car). Can I safely do it myself, say with a heat gun, taking my time slowly peeling it off, or should I bring it to a 'pro'? TIA
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0