09-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #12
MattF407
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mineral Grey 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Why the rear seat delete? I mean, I guess I could see it if you were super competitive in autocross or something, and were looking for the last couple of tenths of a second to shave off, but even then there are a TON of more important things that need addressing (e.g., suspension). I suppose it is a free mod. What are your plans for the car?

Also, isn't that oil cooler for a 135i? I didn't think anyone made one for the N51/N52. Also not super important on a NA engine for typical street use, IMO. Are you going to alter it in some way to make it fit?

There is also an OE oil cooler (it's very small) that was originally fitted to the 528i (I think), so if you have trouble installing that one you could always go for the OE option. Probably most sensible to do it in conjunction with a coolant and oil change.
Hey Bimmer-Bob, I appreciate your interest, and would like you to know your build and forum involvement was 1 key drives that pushed me to get involved here. Props on a beautiful ride.

This mod is the start of a small design project I am beginning, one I have seen various interpretations of on the forum. I am working on mock ups for a rear cleanup panel(s), think a raised box like you might see in a Cayman. I am still in the infancy of this project, but I hope to have a rough visual prototype in the next month or so. So yes, free mod = fun project = I enjoy my days more. In the end, I could hate all of it and put the seats back in, but had a little fun along the way.

I agree with all your points, I am not competitive, in fact me and the car have never seen track time. Also, without a doubt suspension mods would have some of the greatest impacts in improving this cars performance & handling on the track.

My plans for the car will be staged over the next ~3-6 years. Stage 1: Power, Stage 2: Handling, Stage 3: Drivetrain, Seats, Exterior beautification. With some minor tracking and mountain driving along the way. Who knows though, my plans will change along the way.

As for the oil cooler, this was a bit of research & a bit of praying it would work out without serious modification. I have the package waiting for me at fedex, and a decent amount of stuff waiting for me to get to first, but once I pick it up I will do some comparisons on the oil filter housings and check into mounting points for the coolers. AFAIK, oil filter housing should be direct bolt on, mounting coolers & lines may be of some issue, but I will tackle that challenge when I get there. I can report back if you are at all interested, and I appreciate the alternate you proposed from the 528i. I was reading a thread where I believe you and others discussed the use of this, but ultimately decided to go a more robust direction. My current fear on this mod is that I will have to replace my front bumper ahead of schedule to fit shrouding, or run without shrouding until i can source the bumper that I feel fits the car best.

Thanks again for your input & interest, I'd be glad to talk further on any of these item!

PS: Just realize you're in WA too!
Appreciate 0