11-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #50
nanotech
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i SGM M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track rat View Post
Strange, I use hawk hp+ for pretty much all track day activity. I did three track days this year. Mosport, calabogie and tremblant. I do not have any of the problems you are seeing. However I do use gulf competition RF800 brake fluid.
I think those tracks are easier on brakes as you go longer between hard braking instances, at least for Mosport and Calabogie. I haven't been to Tremblant in more than a decade and can't even remember it. I did run the HP+ at Calabogie a few times and they did not worry me the same way. Braking into 2 was the only point I felt like I was braking long and hard and that they would go away; perhaps into 5 sometimes as well. 7 a bit but not for long duration. Caliper and rotor temps were reasonable.

With the HP+ on the wimpy tracks I drive (Cayuga, Grand Bend) I would get a hard pedal but no braking power after a few laps. Fluid boiling I usually get a soft pedal. I run either ATE200 or Motul RBF600 and am pretty aggressive about bleeding. The EBCs did not demonstrate the same hard pedal/no stopping power and I could run it for 10+ laps without serious fade. Both pads I would run the rotors up to >400C; the EBCs could take it, the HP+ could not.

Also, when you hit that fall-off point with the HP+, it was a CLIFF. One lap, full braking; next lap, NOTHING. Annoying at Cayuga and GB with all the run-off, scary at Calabogie into 2!
Appreciate 0