02-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
doane2u
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M Sport E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdavisnpf View Post
Doane2u thanks for the great write up and detailed pics, especially for showing the wireways and passages you used. A few questions:

1. In your screenshot image, the far lower left corner - is that your rear bumper? How far toward the taillight assembly is that spot? Trying to get a feel for side-rear visibility here.
Didn't notice it till you pointed it out, I think you're right, must be the edge of the bumper. The rear visibility is a huge improvement for me. Went to the store yesterday and parked, when I pulled out, I could see traffic coming from the sides for the first time, so it's solved it for me.

Quote:
2. In your experience, is the screen's size, contrast, and refresh rate good enough to easily spot movement at the right and left peripheral areas? My primary interest in rear camera is spotting pedestrians whose path I might cross while backing and turning to exit a parking space or driveway.
I would say yes, see above, I'm really pleased with the view angle results and the image quality is better than some others I have seen. Also, on the back of the screen you can adjust the contrast and brightness, but I haven't experimented with that yet, image seems fine as is. I also have the BMW "sonar" type warning image on the Nav screen and sound as a bonus, while looking at the back up screen, the sonar beeps if anything is close to me on the sides

Quote:
3. If I wanted to slip some flex tubing or shrink tubing over the camera's 2-lead cable (to shield the exposed part running from license plate light to camera body), how big a diameter tube would I need, to fit over the cable end that plugs into the Marker Switch?
I only have one cable from the camera that goes through the hole I drilled in the license plate light unit. Camera and cable are water proof. Here's another photo of the camera with bracket. I drilled holes on both sides of the bracket and mounted it off center to the license plate screw with cap. The bracket holding the camera is bendable to adjust it for the view.. probably the only weak spot as it might get bumped out of adjustment, but it can be easily adjusted as well. I find the parking lines actually quite useful to gauge distance, but they don't bend as you turn.
Appreciate 1