View Single Post
      01-19-2010, 01:28 AM   #77
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
There will be added weight in the more robust driveshaft components they will probably fit, plus the new differential.
Keep in mind the M3 Coupe weighs 133 lbs more than the 335i Coupe (that if the M3 coupe has the CF roof option).
I'm not sure how much the 4.0 V8 weighs compared to the N54 engine, but I'd venture to guess it's gotta be 50-100 lbs more.
So the additional M parts add only 33-83 lbs more.

So if they keep that same weight gain for the M1 over the 135i that won't be too bad at all. But again, I'd think they'd be able to shave some weight in the wheels and tires (probably 7-10 lbs each). And with a CF roof too, it could be close.
No CF roof and you are probably right, it could be a 80-90 lbs weight gain.

But with only 45 hp more on this M1, you'd have to think BMW knows they can't add much weight at all to the M1, otherwise it's straight line speed won't be much greater than the 135i.

Where the weight is added will mean a lot too.
If they give it a CF roof and drop 40 lbs off the top, and go with lighter forged wheels and nonRFT tires and drop 7-10 lbs per corner rotational mass, adding some weight to the diff, and drivetrain, as well as suspension parts and so forth won't be too bad.
If they lose say 8 lbs per wheel/tire or 32 lbs total weight in rotational mass they could add 80 lbs in sprung mass in the diff, drivetrain, etc and it would all balance out anyway.
Appreciate 0