01-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #85
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
The wheels should be forged. You can get larger and wider with forged wheels and they will still be lighter than the cast ones on the 135i.
To give you an idea, on my stock 335i's (both) the 18" wheels weighed about 30-32 lbs (front and rears).
When I bought Morr Alloy Forged wheels, I went up to 19" and went an inch wider. Those forged wheels were 11 lbs LIGHTER than the stock 335i wheels.
Forged are lighter and stronger. And the tires should be lighter too. 135i has heavy RFT tires, I'd think the M1 will go with Michelin Pilot Sports or Continental ContiSport DW's or 3's. All three are lighter than the 18" RFT's
The brakes will probably be 1/2-1 inch bigger, but they are drilled.
So I'd think they would be a wash, but sometimes, the BBK's in the aftermarket are lighter than the stock OEM smaller ones.

But either way, you agree with me, I think it will be a wash on the weight.
Probably, as I guessed in earlier post, within 50 lbs of the 135i's weight.

You can't compare aftermarket wheels to BMW factory wheels. The factory's engineering limits simply won't allow them to shave that much weight. The factory M3 wheels are about 50lbs with tires. There's no reason to think BMW will stray from the norm with this car when it comes to wheel manufacture.
Appreciate 0