09-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #28
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
Interesting experience. I was told to specify that I wanted the newest DOT's on my order if I didn't want 3 year old tires.
No way to know what really goes on in those capacious warehouses and assembly buildings. If you were ordering a staggered set of tires in somewhat uncommon sizes, I'd imagine that rather than 500 of a given tire, that maybe they would just have 20. In that case it might be easier to get you what you want. It may also depend upon the supervisor on duty, and even the specific warehouse. They only reason they called me was presumably because I had called in about this. If I had just left it to my notes on the actual order, I doubt they would have called and I wouldn't have had any idea whether or not they were responsive to the request, other than looking at the date codes on the tires, which still wouldn't tell you what other tires they had in the warehouse when they assembled your order . . . .

I have seen tires listed occasionally on the Tirerack website that were discounted and that mentioned in the listing that the tires were new old stock, and when they were manufactured. I even bought a set of such snow tires once, for a car that I didn't intend to keep for more than another year or 2, and I didn't.