Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
A) do you own a 1M?
B) if the answer is yes; WHY?

I would think very few people bought the 1M as a "precision" tool. Not sure why you would want that and buy a 1M. It's not a technical mastershow; it's a corporate-built hotrod with emphasis on fun factor. It's not a homologation race car like the E30 M3 but it channels the spirit of the E30 M3 for sure. Regardless of the details of the diff. The diff used in the 1M is identical to the M3 it's not like it was made bespoke for this car...
I’ve owned one for 3 years. I’ll humour your silly question and say that I own it for a multitude of reasons, but in all honesty I am a little disappointed in how it handled stock and even now with Öhlins/Recaros/Akrapovic/Custom tune etc whilst a capable car when driven to about 8/10ths when you push that little bit further it lacks the confidence inspiring predictability of a truly great drivers car.
I’m not bashing the 1M as a whole I’m just pointing out some pretty obvious handling characteristics that even bmw acknowledged to be present and I believe that is largely due to the diff.

I also like I assume everyone here didn’t get the opportunity to drive a 1M in that way before purchasing it so some of that was taken on faith hence the marginal disappointment later on. I have since driven in inclement weather on twisty roads I’d previously driven my Evo on and rather than having fun with friends I was having a little bit of a battle keeping it on the road even at a moderate pace. With the traction right off you can really feel what the diff is doing and it’s not helpful when it exhibits those ‘mind of it’s own’ moments.

I can see the appeal of the M2 and M2CS is largely the same smaller chassis fun factor but the predictable nature of their electronic diffs would really reward pushing hard and allow non professional race drivers (ie 99% of us) to get closer to the limit and really have a great time without risking binning it. For most folks one of those would probably make the better buy. The 1M will always be cool and I love it for that but I have no doubt in my mind that the M2CS is the better drivers car.
Appreciate 0