SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Smoke Past Valve Gasket Replacement

UPDATE: There car is fine, just needed some time for residual oil to burn (took about 30 minutes of engine run time)...the engine was pressure washed after it cooled down.
Suggestion: as suggested by a member, engine needs to be washed with soap and low pressure water right after you complete the job....this should clear the issue but regardless let the engine run for at least 30 minutes before assuming that there is another problem, as some residual oil will still be present.

Recently I have noticed a decent amount of smoke coming out of the engine, especially when starting the car. As weeks went by, the smoke got worse. I finally replaced the valve cover gasket yesterday (including the eccentric shaft gasket and VVT solenoid gasket (aka football shaped gasket) , along with oil filter housing gasket. I finished the job late at night, so i didn't start the car until the next day, only to see a puff of smoking, but it went away after few minutes of engine running. I didn't think much about it, but basically every time i start the engine, a puff of smoke will appear right around the rear of the engine on the passenger side. For the life of me, i can't figure out where it is coming from. Throughout the day, the engine has been running for at least 30 minutes, so there shouldn't be any residual oil left. Im 99% sure that the new valve gasket was installed appropriately, as i was careful to make sure it all sits well. My question is if there is anything else that can possibly cause the car to "smoke" for 2 minutes or so after it sits for at least 15 minutes.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SayHack; 08-20-2018 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0