01-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #96
panoz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
And this is why electric cars fail. 4000lbs and requires a tow company on speed dial.

It's a niche and a gimmick. I'm sure the R&D, and everything that must be done to make those batteries is the same if not worse for the environment. And not every electric socket is pushing out clean electricity!

While I value BMW's effort, all car companies need to realize that a step backwards in usability just cannot work in our society.

I've NEVER ran out of gas. I've only once had a car break down on me that required a tow (Ford, go figure). How many times has your watch, cell phone, laptop, or other electronic device failed on you even when their batteries said they had enough juice? How many times have they been unreliable on a really hot or really cold day.

I'm not against alternative fuel, I'm just for one that makes a bit more of sense. Just what everyone wants, a second, more expensive car that is potentially unreliable out of concept.
It may be a niche or gimmick now, but the technology has to start somewhere. This is the first generation, and I suspect that if BMW and others continue to develop this tech the weight will come down and the range will increase substantially within the next few years.

The electronic devices you mention fail on a regular basis because we allow them too, mostly because the consequences are so low. If I was going to be stranded if my ipod ran out of charge, I'd be a lot more careful to make sure it didn't. I think the cold thing is probably the biggest issue with the current battery tech. I definitely wouldn't want to be stranded in a snow storm in one.

It's a given that we need to find an alternative to fossil fuels, and clearly BMW is betting on electrics. I can't really blame them either. We already have a decent infrastructure for delivering electricity (even if it needs substantial improvements), we understand how much it costs, and it can be safely storred.
Appreciate 0