12-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #485
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post

I fail to see where I use some "obscure marketing terminology", when those are my own words. I have been using the word "de-stress" for many... many years!
OK...even better because now I know it didn't come from BMW

Quote:
Secondly, adding bigger anything doesn't necessarily mean it's better, it must be engineered better, to be better. And yes, adding a better component to your car is not engineering. What it took to make that component better was engineering.
OK....but go buy any aftermarket intercooler out there and replace your stock one then measure your intake temperatures and report back on that.

Quote:
So lets not play games! Specially, since you've taken the actual context out of place. (How BMW makes 370ft-lbs -vs- how Shiv & Terry make it)
Seems to me that they all make it using the same methodology - they crank up the boost via software instructions. All of them recommend better heat dissipation via larger intercoolers, less restrictive intakes and freeing up exhaust restrictions.

BMW will allow you a 10 second burst at 370 ft lbs via increased boost pressure. The aftermarket tuners do not set a time limit and you can run that power all the time if you so desire.

However the additional heat from all that power will catch up with the lack of cooling capacity that was designed into the original N54 platform which is engineered for 300 hp - not 370.

So I can see an argument to be made for the lack of engineering on the part of the tuners to manage the additional heat, which I would wholeheartedly agree with.

But like I stated earlier......BMW seems to have addressed this via additional cooling capacity and time limited bursts of power to allow some combustion chamber cooling to take place (speculating here).

Yes that is obviously engineering, but is still not what I would consider radical in any way.
Appreciate 0