View Single Post
      02-13-2022, 07:31 PM   #33
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

The next update isn't as exciting.. it was actually extremely frustrating to deal with, so I wasn't as eager to post about it. The good news is that everything's fixed now, and in better shape than before.

It started out with another track night at PBIR. This time I was with a couple of other forum members (M3post/E90post), tdott and Biginboca.

Right as I was about to start my first session of the night, the check engine light came on. Scanned it and got 2A87, which indicates an issue with the exhaust side VANOS function. Engine seemed OK. We cleared the code, and I was able to get in a couple of laps before it came back on again so I decided to end my session early. At this point we started to hear a little bit of noise from the engine, so I called it an early night.

As many of you know, the 2011 N52 is notorious for having defective VANOS bolts. Apparently this car had that issue and it was never addressed during the 10 year extended warranty recall period from BMW. So, I ordered all new VANOS bolts, a new valve cover + gaskets, and MILVS. Figured if I had to take the VC off, I might as well get all of that done in one shot.

The VANOS bolts I removed (One snapped off during removal, the rest were just in bad shape and partially backed out, not even finger tight):

In the process of taking off the valve cover, one of the bolts snapped off. I thought, no problem... I'll get it out with an extractor. Well, after fighting with multiple drill bits and extractors, the extractor also broke off inside the broken bolt. What should have been a one day job turned into a multi weekend ordeal...

First I tried cobalt left-handed bits, which barely made a dent in the broken bolt/extractor combo. Then I moved up to tungsten carbide, which did the trick. I was able to carefully drill it out and re-tap the hole with a helicoil.

Thankfully it's all fixed now. New VANOS bolts as well as a fresh valve cover and MILVS.

Once I got the car running again, I also ordered Condor Speed Shop headers, as well as an N54 intake manifold. Those should be installed in the next 2-3 weeks. Once I have that done I'll get a tune for the car, probably from Bob @ StageFP.

Last edited by wootloops; 03-15-2022 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 1