View Single Post
      11-30-2017, 03:24 PM   #53
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Yeah I feel like MCS/Moton/AST has done a great job at marketing to the sports car racing series - they're on a pedestal and in my fairly uninformed opinion I think overrated. Same goes for KWs, I will probably go with Ohlins or Bilstein next.
I completely disagree, other than the fact that AST is trash.

I run MCS on my FRS, decided to spend the coil and get Double Adjustable Remotes. There is no comparison against a KW or other similarly equipped mid-grade shock, IMO.

Response off turn-in is incredible, bump damping is way way superior than any other shock I've ran. There is a clear night and day difference how this shock performs than others.

With that being said, not all MCS shocks are made the same. You will sacrifice bump travel if you get a 2WNR shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Haha being sarcastic, by uninformed I mean to say that I have not driven dialed in AST, Moton, MCS, KWCS back to back and compared lap times. From a technology standpoint (inverted monotube designs) and second-hand experience with regards to rebuilds (every 2 seasons with MCS?). I find it hard to justify the 2x price point is SA MCS (non-remote) over a Ohlins or Bilstein kit. Also, keeping it SA saves you points in some time attack series and NASA. Maybe I'm just cheap?

I wish I had the data but maybe MCS shocks win a lot podiums thanks to their biz dev team getting them rolled out as the spec shock for many series?

I'm in NO way bashing any shock company. I run KWs and have very little faith in their twin tube low pressure design for competitive Motorsports. I would swap these for MCS in a heartbeat if I didn't just buy a house and have to do adult things :

Whoops, just saw this now....

MCS shims are very high grade. Depending on mileage you shouldn't need a 2 year rebuild unless you want to revalve. You can probably go 30-50k miles on MCS and be okay. I've known others than put 4 years on MCS shocks, sent them into service and they dyno just like they left and MCS doesn't do a service on them
Appreciate 0