07-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #33
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Best off not worrying about it. There is no definitive evidence as to the negative effects of it if any. The only definitive fix I have found for it is to replace the entire head with the redesigned one which BMW put into the later production models which will cost an obscene amount of money (unless you are under warranty).

I've had it for about 10-15k miles and nothing has changed in that time (knock on wood of course). It's worst in the winter for me, but there are times when I don't get it at all. And then only on the initial startup for a split second. It can be sporadic.

One thing I do know for sure from experience is that very short trips will aggrevate this issue. Best off not doing trips less than 5 miles. When I would drive back and forth to school which was only 2-3 miles I'd get it all the time and it was loud! The only fix for me was to drive it on the highway for a long distance and do some hard pulls into the upper rpms as some have also said that consistently keeping the engine at low RPMs (probably below 3k) will also aggrevate it.

Hope this helps. I also just realized this was the 1M forum but it sounds like you have the same issues as everyone else!
Appreciate 0