View Single Post
      10-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #37
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

I know this is a super old thread, but thought I'd throw my "solution" out there. I picked up a 07 335i with 130k on it that sounded like a diesel. I focused on other things, believing it was a minor cosmetic (not cosmetic, but you know what I'm saying) issue. Inconsequential, I guess that's the right word. Still believe that's the case BTW. Haven't heard of anyone's car exploding from ticking too loud.

I did an oil change as a result of valve cover and oil filter housing gasket replacements. Think I used 5W30 Castrol. Did a bunch of other stuff too. Ticked as loud as ever. Found it about a quart low after driving around a while, I believe after getting everything up to temp and run in after the oil change. I think I only put in 6 quarts, so that could explain it. Either that or I'm burning some, which may or may not be related to anything. I have original (index 1) injectors, if you can believe that.

Anyway, long story short (I know, too late), I fixed the quart low with a quart of Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer, put on the engine cover which had been removed for all of the other work, and nary a tick anymore. I think it was a combination of all of the above: low oil, no sound deadener from the cover, and the Lucas stabilizer. I had read about the Lucas product from one of the many other ticking threads on e90 post and figured it was worth the $20 to check it out. Only have a few hundred miles on it since but it's the difference between obnoxious and reasonable. Worth $20 to give it a try for sure.
Appreciate 0