View Single Post
      03-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

So I have driven the car a good bit since making the change and thought I'd write-up my experience.

I am definitely experiencing more precise and crisp shifts with the new mounts. Prior to changing the mounts I always felt as though the gear motions involving moving the shift lever forward (2 to 3, 4 to 5) felt great, but the shifts involving moving the lever back (1 to 2, 3 to 4, 5 to 6) were a bit crunchy if I didn't perfect the timing and speed of the shift. With the new mounts I am now getting much crisper shifts in the latter category. Of course you can still get a get a funky-feeling shift if you butcher it, but it is now much easier to get good, solid feeling shifts.

Unfortunately, there are some drawbacks to stiffening the mounts. I don't really note any additional vibrations, however I am hearing a good amount more clutch/flywheel chatter at low to moderate vehicle speeds. For example, starting off in 1st gear, I can hear the clutch and flywheel quite loudly. This is also audible while changing gears. Also, I hear a bit more transmission whine at very light throttle/coasting at constant speed. Once I get up to highway speeds things can no longer be heard.

So my overall conclusion is that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks for me personally, but I can definitely see some people preferring the original, less noisy mounts. So for now they are staying. Luckily they can be easily switched.