View Single Post
      02-01-2011, 06:43 AM   #18
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2000 Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolader View Post
As far as the 1 series goes, only 2011 135i's have the DCT. DCT's can be found in lots of other cars as well, but yeah 2011 is the magic year for them with the 135i.

So the 08 you drove had the same auto I have, the ZF. Did you drive in drive (straight down) or did you drive in sport (down, then left)? it may make the difference you need/want.

You can probably do better than 08 for 30k. I paid not much more than that and got my 2010 with only 4xxx miles on it.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend a 2010. I would recommend a 2009, simply because BMW decided to "decontent" the car on a few things. If you ever plan to listen to the radio, then don't get the 2010. It has a horrible radio with no tweeters at all. The earlier than 2010 cars have a much better setup.

One thing that you do owe it to yourself is to google "135i HPFP" because as much as I love my car, they eat fuel pumps for breakfast. BMW has extended warranty's on most years (again, not on 2010...or so I know) but a great warranty doesn't mean anything when you are out of warranty replacing them every year. Here's to hoping they will finally get it figured out by the time that happens!
I did put it down and left to use the paddle shifters. It was fun but the feeling of always being in a gear and no neutral just didn't feel as smooth as it could have.

I did read a little about the fuel pumps. Is this something that is definitely a problem? Will it just happen one day and I won't be able to drive? Or is it something I will notice but still be able to get to work and then fix it the next day?

Thanks for the help, I'm glad the community is similar to the S4. Surprisingly, they are agreeing with me on converting to a newer 135i. I thought they were going to hang me.
Appreciate 0