View Single Post
      03-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Talking This car is something special... and I almost sold it (pic heavy)

Wanted to share this and get some opinions. If anyone caught my garage sale thread they may have noticed I had "decided" to sell the 1er. I've always wanted a Corvette and noticed the price of C6's had plummeted. I planned to get a cheaper C6 and another cheap car as a DD. After getting some news that we may be moving (short-term) I did some serious thinking, more research, and went back on my decision.

I've never done that before. I've had 13 vehicles in 10 years, not because they broke or crashed, but because I hadn't found anything that made me want to keep it more than a couple of years. I tried all kinds of platforms and finally landed on my first 135i a few years ago. A friend and I drove from MD to North Carolina and back in a day to buy it. Loved it from the start but it died a watery death in a flood and I wasn't sure I'd find another with all the features I wanted. I got super lucky and picked up the current One, once more down in NC, driving 14hrs solo in a day.

After almost selling this car I had the realization that I'm not sure there's another car out there that can do what the 1er offers. I'm curious to see if anyone else has had a similar train of thought.

I also realized that not needing a separate DD, and being able to do everything with the One is what makes it special.

My wife and I have packed it FULL, with a massive "first-time" Costco run moving into a new apartment, and it took it like a champ. (First One here, the observant reader will notice the SG paint)
20150926_152912_zpslfudxusr by Matt Steele, on Flickr

I've loaded the trunk with camping gear, thrown bikes on the roof, dog in the back, wife in the passenger seat and hit the road for hours on end. Dirt roads included, and it's never missed a beat.

20170609_141702 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
20170609_142611 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
20170609_203351 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
20170611_151736 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

We've thrown ski/snowboard gear on the roof, packed the trunk, a friend in the back seat with us up front and driven 5hrs up to the Catskills through snow, mud, and slush.

Capture by Matt Steele, on Flickr
20180104_090332 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
2018-01-22_03-37-43 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

This car has done, and can do so much. All while remaining comfortable, adaptable, (somewhat) reliable, sipping gas, and making me and the other passengers smile. I haven't even gotten into the driving characteristics of the car, which is what separates it from the rest of the pack, especially most that can be used as a DD. The fact that it drives like it does and can still do all of the above is what makes it special. And I'm glad that I didn't give in to the opportunity and impulse to let it go.
Gangplank1540.50
Suprgnat2317.00
Fakemike368.50