View Single Post
      02-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #45
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Oh, burn, You really just don't have a clue, do you? Do you not think their engineers compromise? Do you not think some people prefer the changes that their modifications brought about? Do you not think some things have improved over time when it comes to replacement part options? Do you not think that non-M cars can benefit from some M parts? Do you still have stock RFT's as the engineers obviously thought were the very best? Enjoying your stock RSFB's or CDV? The idea that you think nothing can be improved is silly.

Not sure why I'm bothering. You've combined a little each of several logical fallacies with your statement, making it somewhat clear you're trolling. So - good luck with yourself.
Exactly; this guy gets it. Engineering is always about working within constraints, whether those constraints are money, performance, or comfort. The car's suspension was designed with the RFT in mind, which were used for whatever reason BMW thought best. They are by no means the optimal tire for all uses of the car. Change the tire? Get ready to change other things to deal with the effects of that change. Arguing that nothing can be improved because engineers in a commercial enterprise made certain decisions is asinine. Would someone really argue that the RFTs are a choice decision for track use, for instance? BMW specifies that the diff fluid is lifetime - does that sound practical?

Back on topic - dumb question: did OP drive the car after checking the ride height? My new-ish Konis take some more effort to settle than the worn OE struts I pulled off at ~60k mi. When I first installed, the car looked to be >0.5in higher than it was before. After a short drive and some braking, it settled back in to where I expected it to be.
Appreciate 0