View Single Post
      08-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
For all we know, it just might have 380 hp. I said this before, do you think M engineers spent almost a 1 year on the 'Ring and several months in the snow, just driving for the fun of it? Do you think M Division just told a few engineers to drive around, waste gas, go let some car journalists ride shotgun, waste more gas, and this is a paid vacation?
No management and marketing may say hey it's good you have 380 hp however that will cannibalize M3 sales, detune it to 340 or 350, but we will market it as the greatest machine ever built with no compromise. Just like the performance package or 335is. Why didn't 335i come with "s" options? Why didn't 135i come with aerokit, power boost, and exhaust?

It's called walking up customer's demand curve, maximizing dollar amount each buyer will spend. They will do so until the cost to maintain such customization or complexity in production exceed the marginal value provided by them. This way they don't lose sales on customer who doesn't care for options yet milked those who do.

They can be unit testing new components or system testing the integration of them. Not necessarily means it will have 380hp.

Last edited by Robert; 08-13-2010 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0