View Single Post
      03-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #35
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDurdan View Post
I have similar problem. Wonder if anybody had same issue? I guess might be early sign of failed water pump:

2012 N55 computer says car is overheating but temperature gauge shows normal and not actually overheating; car goes into limp mode. Turn off and turn on and car is back to normal.

This mainly appears when I put my heated seats on and/or turn on the temp control and not putting the airflow to the vents.

Any idea? Water pump replacement soon? Sensor issue? Car has 40k km.

EDIT 1: did the waterpump test, where you crank the temperature dials to max and step on gas for 10 secs. The waterpump cycled the coolant for 12 minutes.

EDIT 2: found out hidden coolant temp gauge, monitored it, with the temp control on, for some reason after 20 minutes it went to 120 degrees Celsius. Car was operating 105 avg prior to 20 minutes.

EDIT 3: turned car off. Let car cool off for few minutes. And turned off the heater, drove for 20 minutes, coolant temp range 105-110 degree celcius.
Anybody know what's up? Will still bring to Indy shop for a diagnosis.
Water Pump.
This is an important note that most people seem to disregard when they are having signs of imminent water pump failure:
YOUR CAR WILL NOT ACTUALLY OVERHEAT PRIOR TO COMPLETE FAILURE!
You will get the yellow and red cautions and limp mode, but your temp gauge will not really be hot. In fact, mine was running 10 degrees cooler than normal. This was because the system was sensing an imminent failure and the water pump went into overdrive to save the other systems. So it may actually run cooler for a bit to allow you to get someplace safe.

If you keep shutting down and restarting and ignoring it, you WILL get stuck on the side of the road. Limp it or tow it for service immediately.
Appreciate 0