08-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #73
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunder View Post
If its not a real M it better not have any aftermarket M badges/decals on it. The factory BMW M-Milking is quite enough.

I really wish they'd keep it separate ala MB AMG. The worst is the "m235i" in the GAUGE CLUSTER of those cars. I guess the 19 year old kids who's parents are leasing the car for them like it.

Personally I like the stripes on the grill, but its gotta be a real M otherwise its just a boy racer thing IMO.

And the longer it goes on the more I realize I'm being a scrooge about it/the more people just 'accept it'. Its like the DCT... that is not a manual... nor is your m235 a real M car... but I guess if I were 20 I wouldn't know any better, or care rather.
BMW itself considers the M235i to be the first of five tiers of M car now.
M tech: production car with bought m parts added to the car will have M badges in it
M cars, according to BMW anyway

M performance model: ex: M235i basically a production car with a tune and the Mtech parts, repurposed the old m535i name to create a tier equivalent to the successful S brand at Audi. The 'is' nomenclature used to fill this role...
M2: The M car developed by the M division, usually with its own engine seperate from the production line and ideally supposed to be a detuned race engine, ala the e30 M3, e92 M3, M6 and coming 8.

M2 M performance: you buy the upgrades on your M2 from the new M performance line

M2 competition: more power and all the upgrades

M2 csl/gts a weight reduced close to a race car as you can get street car

I think it's dumb too. They kind of want to do what Porsche did to the 911 and scrape peoples wallets clean. Making 'the best' car about $30 grand later.

Of course these stupid decisions are encouraged and rewarded by the type of people who buy / lease new cars. They need NEW and BADGES to upgrade to every year.

I know a chock who upgraded her Camry to a brand new one because she NEEDED apple car play and the new one is "sporty" now. ?

Remember when the old 8 series was an M car in develment but BmW refused to call it an M car because it was too big and heavy and would damage the M brand?

Well the new generation demands stuff and things to show off and they will gladly pay a monthly fee for the privelage and BMW is happy to oblige.
Appreciate 0