View Single Post
      09-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I remember @Dackelone mentioning this and there was a theory that came about later that it was a mistake. My guess was that it was merely due to a mistake in KW to HP conversion. That would have been an amazing tune from BMW.
Weren't the downpipes on the 1M redone to make them more free-flowing. I could see 400HP with a stock-like tune from that reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Very interesting story Luc. I had not seen that, thanks. I think that is something that BMW would do. Just look how they rolled out their anti-tuner SW "update" and did not inform us 135i owners that they were detuning our cars.
Anyone remember this photo of mine ? 332Kw or 451 HP Looks like this was real.
Ha, the plot is thickening !

That might indeed be a sensible explanation for the wild figure on the notorious 2010 screenshot and the speculation about a powerful phantom Pyrat (1M CSL ?) (note: crank number figures, not at the wheels).

So maybe it was no typo, but a reference to a real 1M (aggressive set-up for testing by car journalists). Compare the 2010 and 2013 screenshots: 11/03 (March 2013). The 2013 screenshot features a car built in March 2011, thus amongst the first that were built.

At least six US press/demo cars were built in March 2011 (VINs: BVP75915 | BVP75916 | BVP75918 | BVP75919 | BVP75920 | BVP75921), all featuring special option S902A ("Special Inspection Press Vehicles" - "Sonderkontrolle Pressefahrzeuge") (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...CK2ohNYK#gid=0 + http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/).

Car journalists started testing the 1M from May 2011 onwards. Maybe the cars offered to test drive were the ones with unrestricted power (unlocked with a software package, alike software packages for delimiting the speed limiter) + all 1Ms produced for consumers (not for car press tests) got electronically detuned to 340 hp ?

True or false/coincidence ?

Anyways, if this happens to be true (which remains speculation, of course), then:
  • ± 400 hp = aggressive press testing set-up of the 1M for which the engine was actually designed and manufactured ("scharfe Presse-Setup wofür der Motor selbst eigentlich auch konstruiert und ausgelegt ")
  • 340 hp = 'politically correct' electronic limitation ("politisch elektronisch eingebremst") to just under the E46 M3 hp value (which was 343 hp) - hey, it should remain a 1er;
  • the detuned 1M has a significant power margin - far from the limit;
  • original 1M power = approaching/trespassing M3 territory;
  • BMW might have been worried about fast wear and tear of the aggressive press set-up - lots of power is merciless in straining mechanical engine parts + risk of younger demographic underestimating the power output and crashing 1Ms too easily + 1M getting too deep into the M3 comfort zone;
  • car journalists did not drive 'doped' 1Ms, no they were offered to drive the ones with unrestricted power output. Porsche and Ferrari: eat this !
Now I also understand why a 1M forum fellow who works at a BMW dealership, and who put an aggressive tune on his 1M (± 400 hp), told that he did not mind voiding the warranty by fitting the tune "because the 1M engine is strong enough to handle the tune".

So, if true, the 1M is actually not underpowered: no, it is electronically restricted (muzzled). But the full power can be unlocked with a BMW software flash. So, does anyone want Santa Claus to bring software package E89X-11-03-502 ?
Ooh, don't we all like those wild conspiracy theories. If true, then - maybe, maybe - it might have cracked the code of the notorious 2010 screenshot mystery.

Last edited by Artemis; 09-26-2013 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50