View Single Post
      04-07-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Exclamation BMW M1 / BMW 1M test mule spied in production testing form!!!

As reported on 1addicts homepage.

Here is it folks! The BMW M1 test mule in its real bumper, widened fenders, integrated duckbill trunk spoiler, upgraded M wheels, large brakes with cross-drilled rotors, and other bits of M goodies!! Although the hood power bulge, quad exhausts, and M side gills are not yet apparent, these are cosmetic items which are simply not yet added to this early production test mule.

Scott26's reaction to photos:
Quote:
I am not in Munich right now so I cannot comment on the design changes (if any) that have been made to the car. But by it's appearence it looks as if the car is relatively unfinished.

To answer your question. Yes it is the M.
M cars test in Phases that is what gives an M product it's trademark precision. You have seen the first stage of cars testing in the Arctic , Now they go for evaluation on public roads and soon with the return of better , warmer weather the Nordschleife @ the Nürburgring. And Hot Weather testing in North America's Death Valley.

There is a lot more to come in this car's evaluation process, but Dr. Kay Segler's recent comments that M has to be affordable and youthful to attract new customers is all about 1 car, this car.

As I am not in Munich right now. I have been informed that since the pictures we published this morning that the dealers in Germany are approaching BMW in regards to interest in this car, just think how reaction across the world is doing...
__________________________________________________ __

Here is an FAQ about the M1 / 1M from our FAQ THREAD:

When can we expect to see the M1?
The First details of the production car will be announced at the end of the year [2010].

When will it go on sale?
The car will be ready for market launch at the end of the year and sales will begin in all parts of the world in mid 2011.

When will I be able to test drive an M1 in the U.S. And when will they stop making them (end of production)?
Cars will hit the markets by mid 2011. Production will end possibly early 2013.

How much will it cost?
In Euro there is talk about 10,000 more than the 135i. But I cannot assume the price in North America because it all depends on what the market will be like next year.

When will the Coupe version of the new 1-series platform arrive?
The Coupe and Cabrio models will be launched in 2013. You have not seen a Coupe because it is still too far down the road. The first model of the 1er will be the 5dr hatch then followed by the 3dr Hatch.

Is there a M1 convertible (E88) version in the works? If so how far behind the coupe will it be?
Yes they have plans to introduce a cabrio as well. [It will be introduced a] few months [after the Coupe].

Could the Cabrio version possibly have a fixed rollover bar option that way vert owners could track their cars every once in a while?
I do not think BMW will offer such a feature in a Cabrio.

What kind of engine we might expect N54, N55, twin, single turbo?
The engine is based upon BMW's latest Six Cylinder N55 with Twin-Turbo technology.

Will the coupe have a manual transmission option?
I have seen cars with both manual and M DCT.

How much will it weigh?
3,300 lbs or 1,500 kg Link

How much wider will the 1M/M1 be? Will we finally be able to fit some good wide rubber on there without extensive modification?
The rear and front track are wider so there will be a slight massage at the front and rear to accomodate the changes and give it a visual identity seperating it from the regular Coupe models.

Will it have a LSD?
Yes.

What kind of power figures we might expect?
It will be powerful to justify it's premium over the 135i but not to overstep the M3.

Will the M1 be tuner friendly?
Let us be absolutely clear about this but BMW have no love for the tuning industry primarily because they are usually left with the problem after things go wrong. That is why BMW Performance was brought in to play and why BMW play the void your warranty card. What you have seen so far with BMW performance is nothing compared to what will be coming in the future.
There is one Tuner BMW have a special relationship with and that is Alpina.

Will the M1 have either/or LED Angels or LED taillights?
I do not know for definite but cars I have seen (protoypes and design concepts) utilise the same specification as the 135i with optional xenon lighting.

Will the M1 will have an integrated duck bill spoiler for sure? ..or is this still up in the air?
For visual identity and of course aerodynamics the rear spoiler will be reprofiled in typical BMW M fashion.

Can you shed any light on interior changes? Particularly want to know about seats and dash/instrument cluster.
There will be a notifiable visual identity to distinguish the car's interior from other 1er Coupe models. Not everything is final.

Facts about the M1 from SCOTT26
  • The M1 will feature a Personalization Program
  • You have your central duct which will allow air a , priority for the High Performance Intercooler. Brake air ducts will provide cooling for the six piston (cermamic?) brake discs , on the bonnet there is an additional two ducts one for cosmetic symmetery the other for air. Two air intakes on the front wings bring the typical M look with the bar that incorporates the side indicator light now placed on top instead of striking through. Link
  • Because the rear wings of the car appear more muscular due to the width of the rear track. The designers incorporated the rear vents similar in appearance to what is featured on the X5 and X6 M models to help break up the heaviness of the rear bumper which made the car look too bulky at the rear. Link

Name:  bmw m1 1.jpg
Views: 49610
Size:  198.0 KB

Name:  bmw m1 2.jpg
Views: 45028
Size:  722.2 KB

Name:  bmw m1 3.jpg
Views: 34070
Size:  175.7 KB

Name:  bmw m1 4.jpg
Views: 36854
Size:  806.5 KB

Name:  bmw m1 5.jpg
Views: 36010
Size:  418.0 KB

Name:  bmw m1 6.jpg
Views: 43902
Size:  558.3 KB

Name:  bmw m1 7.jpg
Views: 38497
Size:  949.7 KB

Enhanced version of original pic (by 1addicts member) taken from the rear of the car in order to lighten up the shadows under the car. You can clearly see the additional finning for heat dissipation on the M diff. Additionally, look closely at the rear camber arms. You will note that they appear to be cast aluminum arms like the M3 ones, not stamped steel like the 135i/335i ones.

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0