View Single Post
      11-04-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
zz25
Private
Rep
Drives: '04 Landcruiser

My reason for choosing a 325i over a 330i...........

I don't post a lot here but I avidly read the site every day and it's been an invaluable source of information. I'm currently doing an overseas tour in a country with no real traffic laws. I got to go home to the US for a month just recently and test drove both the 325i and 330i at 5 different dealerships. Although, I had decided from the start that I wanted a 6sp manual with ZSP (I have never owned an automatic nor do I plan to), I test drove both the 325i and 330i with step and also both outfitted with the 6sp manual and ZSP. I also test drove both the Audi A3 and A4 with sports suspension and 6sp on both (only b/c I can get both of those at invoice with no haggle). Just to let you know where I'm coming from...........I am in my mid-thirties, and before I moved overseas, I drove a 2003 Subaru WRX wagon. At the time I bought it, I had a big dog, and spent a lot of time in the snowy mountain areas where I had need of the AWD, but I also wanted something fun to drive. Now I'm looking at getting something fun to drive and a bit more refined. I'm a lifelong BMW fan and am finally in a place where I can afford one, whether it be the 330i or 325i. I love the history of BMW, have visited the museum in Munich, and went to the unveiling of the e90 at the "3 Across America" presentation. Where I am living now, I have a 2004 loaded Toyota Landcruiser (V-8 and 5sp manual). You need it here b/c of the roads. I used to be all about the turbo rush of the WRX, but since I've been here, I realize that pure speed is not what I'm looking for in a car. If that were the case, I'd take my $35,000 and get an Evo. Where I seem to have the most fun is revving the engine on a good twisty back road. Since I'll be moving back to the US, there are few places where you can drive fast, but there are plenty of fun places to drive with twisty roads where 40 MPH "feels" fast in a good handling vehicle.......not to mention that any car feels fast after driving a Landcruiser for a year! At any rate, after driving the 325i 6sp ZSP with a very encouraging BMW salesman in the backseat (my girlfriend was in the front), I felt that it was easier to get near the limits of the engine without too much fear of losing my license. Now if i had regular access to a track or lived in an area where I wasn't worried about speeding tickets, I'd be all over the 330i. Since this isn't the case, I've decided on the 325i, in Monaco blue with aluminum trim and black 'ette with 6sp, ZSP, Logic 7, Xenons, Satellite, and Heated seats. The worst part is that I have almost a year left overseas! It will be worth it when I get back. Just curious if anyone else has felt this way or if I'm crazy..............

Last edited by zz25; 11-04-2005 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 0