View Single Post
      12-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #21
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
Ask the rep for that info. Better than assuming. The top semi/full slick manufacturers will happily tell you. For example, Hankook optimum is a 10" for their 265/35/18 regardless of compound.
So even your research has shown that a 9.5" isn't a typical recommendation?

I have spoken with tire engineers at length about this topic. I didn't consult with Nankang in this instance because I did not spec the tires for the OP, nor did I install them. That being said, every single tire manufacturer lists the rim width range up to 10.5" for 265/35/18. Also, there isn't really a single true optimum for every tire size. There are other factors. For example, you need to consider fitment onto the car, wheel / tire sizes available, and desired feel (a driver may want a more responsive steering feel - therefore a wider wheel with the same tire size will provide that). Imagine the feel of a 265 on a 9" wheel versus a 10.5". The tire will 'roll over' more easily under lateral load on the narrower wheel. Conversely it will have more sidewall support on the wider wheel. Porsche even exceeds the rim width recommendations on some of their cars (997 GT3 is one example). Another example is Schirmer Race Engineering in Germany is specifying 10.5" with 265/35/18 front tires on their builds.

Not trying to argue here. Just trying to share the info that I have compiled over years of working in this arena.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 12-08-2019 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0