View Single Post
      10-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #108
Idealistic
Arrogant Elitist
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djminkin View Post
Why does everyone compare cars based on power and which car is faster than the other? There is a very large percentage of people who dont really care which car is faster or has more power. You are being narrow minded basing everything on that. Maybe its because were discussing it on a performance car message board, but many people and this is usually the case, establish a price bracket they want to be in and go and drive the cars for the overall driving experience. Comfort, accessories, safety, performance, braking, gas mileage, scheduled matainaence, are all equally important to the average car buyer. BMW in my opinion offers a total package, that is unparalled even in the higher price bracket by Mercedes and Porsche, let alone Honda and Mitsubishi. What I meant by not being concerned, is that I feel BMW is aiming at a higher class of buyer, with Porsche pricing themselves out of the realm of reality on some vehicles, and Mercedes, not offering the same type of total driving experience BMW does. When you compare what BMW has to offer in its price class to its main competitors, its highly favorable. The 1 series, is meant to lure the young professional up the next step of automobile that may be driving a Mistu or Honda, but the decision will not only be based on HP or which car goes 0-60 faster, that is a very immature view point, one that might be valid in the sub 20 age bracket, and this is where I think BMW is not as interested to compete in, because they simply cant build a car up to their standards to compete at that price point.

This thread is about the 135i exclusively. If someone wants a 1 series and isn't so concerned about speed, why would they buy a 135i when they can have the 126i for thousands less, probably even have it fully loaded for less than the 135i base. Thats not a rhetorical question btw, I really want to hear you weigh in on that.

The 1 series is definitely meant to lure young people into a bimmer and hopefully get them hooked for life. Don't force it into only that corner though. Why won't it be judged on its speed? It already has been, every car is, and how in hell is that immature?

We like fast cars, so we are immature, I guess I'll go hang in my playpen with Michael Schumacher.