View Single Post
      03-29-2014, 04:32 AM   #122
SteveAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian48 View Post
I tried the original heat and two jack stands method at first. That was the first thing I tried but I was having no luck. They said to heat for about 20 seconds or so. I did this and no luck. No I did not use a conventional press. What I ended up doing was going back to the heat method but really heating them up and using a press I made with the threaded rod and some wood I had laying around. After I figured out how to work that one it took, without exaggeration, 10 minutes to get the three other ones out. And then bolting it all back up and bleeding brakes was another hour and a half to two hours with breaks taken every so often.
I don't know where you read " 20 seconds or so" but it sure wasn't from me. It takes a little patience for sure. Either way...glad you were able to get it done. Nice job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavela View Post
Just got done with installing the AKG bushings. It took us under two hours. Here are a few details about my experience. Overall, it was not difficult by any means. Everything came apaet easily and smoothly. We used two jacks, a torch and a large, shallow socket to press them out. I think it was a 20mm or so. It took a good amount of heat, to the point where the bushing was smoking a bit. Just be patient and it'll come out. I left the brake lines connected, but we kept a close eye on them the whole time. For the rears, the car's weight wasn't enough to get them out, so I had two friends sit in the trunk. After they sat in there, they came right out. That's about it. If anyone has a specific question, let me know. Like steveAZ said, this is way easier than people make it out to be. If you have the tools and are comfortable using them, you'll be just fine.
2013 F10--JB4/BM3
2015 F82--Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP & PI--PS2 Turbos-- JB4/BM3-FBO
Appreciate 0