View Single Post
      02-15-2022, 06:46 PM   #1
gordon513
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i 2010 & E92 M3 2010

e82 - 135i N54 - 2A82 Intake Vanos Code & 3100 boost deactivation plus piston damage?

Hi all

After a little bit of help or to see if anyone has run into the same problem. I have a 59 plate N54 135i with FBOs and MHD stage 2+ flashed - c.113k miles.

I am currently getting the 2A82 VANOS intake code along with the 3100 boost cut.

I've changed the intake VANOS solenoid (brand new from BMW), cleaned out the VANOS check valves, checked the oil filer cap to ensure the cage is there (seems fine but have ordered a brand new one to be on the safe side but assume I would be getting intake and exhaust side codes if this was the case?) and done an oil change with a genuine filter.

In addition I've tried to reset VANOS adaptations but still with no luck! I've also confirmed I'm getting the correct voltage on the power and DME side of the solenoid plug.

Whilst I was doing the oil filter housing gaskets the other day, I had a look down on the valves and they're are pretty carbon'd up - might this be causing the issue? (Would have thought unlikely).

This leads me to think that it must be the intake cam ledges which will be a real pain! I'm happy to DIY it but more I don't really want to pay the £500 a piece or whatever the clamshells are now from BMW. I have found a second hand set on Ebay but its very hard to tell if they too will already be damaged to be essentially useless.

Would appreciate it of anyone has any bright ideas?

I'm leaning on it being the cam ledges as it only seems to do it when the oil is v hot - 105 degrees c plus - so often on a long drive it won't do it but then the moment I start driving around town it comes up. Idle seems a little lumpy but not hugely so.

The one thing I haven't tried is re-flashing the car to stock and seeing if the issue persists - but again think this is unlikely.

Apart from the above - I'm pretty stuck for ideas!

I am going to be posting on a couple of forums to try and reach the largest audience but will be sure to update all threads with any revelations/ good advice given!

Many thanks in advance

Edit:

Spent some time this weekend compression testing. Results were good; 175psi across the board. However, I also used a borescope to have a look at each of the pistons and found some strange things.

Cylinder 1 - there looks to be quite a lot of stuff stuck to the piston (bottom right corner) plus what looks like to be a bit of wire in the middle? Any idea what this is ? I couldn't move it around.

Cylinder 4 - looks like a chip in the top right had corner? Any ideas?

Cylinder 5 - the most scary one - there is a big cut where there is clearance for one of the intake valves - it looks quite new as its shiny. What would have caused this? A valve hitting the piston? I would have thought that if this was the case, I would have lower compression in that cylinder?

Injectors:

Some of the pistons looked a little wet (including the spark plugs) and there was a smell of fuel. Is there anyway of checking if the injectors are leaking? I seem to have a mix of index 7 & 9 injectors and then one random one (can't work out what it is - maybe aftermarket)

Pics below:

F22 M235i 2015 (Auto)
E87 118D 2007 (Manual)

Last edited by gordon513; 02-27-2022 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0