View Single Post
      07-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #35
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The general coding process is to connect the cable to your laptop and the OBDII port of your car (drivers side footwell in my e88), run INPA to be sure you have a connection (requires turning the car "on" but not running), then run NCSExpert to do the actual changes. The process is not very logical and involves multiple steps that must be done exactly correctly. Attention to detail is required. It is possible to mess things up and make your car do things you really did not want. If you backup your module first, however, you can always reset to the way you found it. There is a good tutorial that I followed as close as possible the first time (the instruction is to add the digital speedometer which is in a different software module for me) and I follow steps 50 and up when making changes now. It only takes 5 minutes or so to make a change but if you do not follow the steps just right the least thing that will happen is it won't work. If you are good with computers and following instructions you should not have too much difficulty - possibly none.

There's a good thread in the DIY area called "coding success" you may also want to review if you like this subject.

Another thing you can do with the cable and software is to tell your car you put in a new battery. I am not at that point yet but that one thing will pay for your investment in the cable and software.

Jim