03-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #22
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotchAndCigar View Post
Good luck convincing the addicts on this. I tried making this point and got pummeled by all the gearheads telling me about these potential engine-wear horror stories, backed by no actual evidence. But they talk like we're driving around with no oil.

I think a lot of the gear heads on 1Addicts believe in the old saying... "the best oil is fresh oil"! Me included!

I know IF I was used car shopping and I would buy the car that had more frequent oil changes then the one that had only the basic minimun OCI's that BMW says to do.

I remember going to Volkswagen of America's regional traning center (many moons ago) the instructer there Jim Sartwell was asked how often should I change my engine oil... he asked the person waht kind of driving they did. They said I only drive seven miles to my work, each way. And he said IF I were you I would change your oil every month! The person thought he was joking... but he was dead serious.

I go with 5K OCI's. I have no evidence that 5K is better than 15K or 20K mile OCI's. I just know I depends on my car more than say my lawn mower that I change the oil only once a year! lol And my BMW costs awhole lot more than my lawnmower!

[/quote]
I also remember hearing a while back, that my Z4 - which was assembled in Spartansburg - had their engines run-in and oil changed in Germany, before being shipped to the States for assembly. Any truth to that?[/quote]

When I toured the BMW factory in Munich... the tour guide said BMW does not change the engine oil anymore. Every engine gets "dry tested" on a dyno before the spark plugs get installed. This is down with compressed air. Then they add the spark plugs and send the engine down the line. The oil never gets changed.

Also... only ONE in 500 engines (I think it was ?) gets pulled to the side and tested on a real engine stand dyno. I asked IF that engine gets an oil change and the guide did not know! I bet not. BMW ain't Porsche(the old Porsche in the old days were the best dyno engines get put in press cars and race cars!). And even Porsche does the same thing with engine dynoing.

Dackel

Last edited by Dackelone; 03-27-2011 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0