View Single Post
      09-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #75
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Yeah, this makes sense. For me, personally, the extra power of a 135i would either be wasted on me or get me into trouble. The 128i is the most powerful car I've ever owned (everything before was sub-200 HP) and I actually don't think I'd enjoy a 300 HP car as much, because I wouldn't feel very confident in it. I'd like to start doing some car control clinics and HDPEs, and I think for a beginner the 128i is a better car to start with.

This is exactly what I meant, a driver relying more on the power of his car than on good execution of technique. But, as you pointed out, I guess such a driver would still end up looking unskilled to anyone who knew what they were looking at.

Oh, no, not even close.

My view on the 128i is that it is a fun, quick car. Depending on what you compare it to, it is even "fast." But by today's standards, it is not competetive. Nevertheless, such a car would have been quite impressive only 10 or so years ago, not that long really to anyone but a teenager. The march of progress and the automotive arms race has made huge HP numbers much more commonplace, but ask anyone still driving an old 2002 or 914 how much HP you really need to have a good time. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with more, and for the power junkies out there the 135i is really the only logical choice - but I think a lot of people do overlook a balanced, poised and perfectly capable vehicle simply because, well, it's the "base model" and who wants one of those?

I was all set to get a 328i Msport, manual
Anyone who's opinion does not respect a 128/328i, has an opinion not worth respecting.
Appreciate 0