View Single Post
      04-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #1
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

CSF Radiator on N54 135i

In my experience my 2008 135i with a mild tune encounters power reductions due to overheating coolant during extended track sessions.

Our ECU begins to progressively reduce power once coolant reaches 117°C (243°F), and the effect is immediately apparent when driving on the track. A similar effect occurs once the oil reaches 151°C (304°F), however, my coolant reaches the limit before the oil does.

My experience is not different from others. I thank xBlueStreakx for steering me towards the CSF radiator:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...56&postcount=1

He also pointed out this article:

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/my-tho...ato-1745809742

Which leads to this this thread on E90POST which deals with the problem exhaustively:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412156

So, I have purchased and installed a CSF p/n 7045 radiator. Removing and installing the radiator is somewhat difficult due to the very limited space up front. I found disconnecting the oil cooler lines to greatly help the installation. I ended up replacing the cooling fan shroud as well as mine had cracked at some point.

The cooling fan shroud connects to the original radiator at three points: one bolted connection at the upper RH corner, and one plastic clip on each side at mid height. The CSF radiator uses mid-height brackets that do not correctly mate up with the plastic clips. I designed a simple delrin block that provided effective clamping, while ensuring that the shroud remains properly centered on the radiator. I offer the idea up for anyone planning on installing this radiator.

The LH plastic clip on the radiator shroud needs a bit of grinding to work with my clamping block. Before:

Name:  LH Shroud Clip Before.JPG
Views: 3194
Size:  399.4 KB

and after:

Name:  LH Shroud Clip After.JPG
Views: 3245
Size:  457.3 KB

The radiator provisions are simple brackets with clamping screws. LH Bracket:

Name:  LH Radiator Bracket.JPG
Views: 3287
Size:  533.1 KB

RH Bracket:

Name:  RH Radiator Bracket.JPG
Views: 3349
Size:  519.5 KB

The shroud clips only half hang on these brackets so the clamping screw does not fully engage and a slight lateral shift will allow the clip to fall off the bracket.

My delrin clamping block provides features to ensure the shroud remains centered, and it provides a good surface for the clamping screw to engage. These screws have captive washers which provide no function in this installation. I installed them with Loctite to ensure they wouldn’t back themselves out over time.

Name:  Delrin Clamping Block.JPG
Views: 3183
Size:  529.3 KB

LH side with Clamping Block:

Name:  LH Clip with Clamping Block.JPG
Views: 3150
Size:  446.2 KB

RH side with Clamping Block:

Name:  RH Clip with Clamping Block.JPG
Views: 3151
Size:  446.8 KB
Appreciate 1