03-31-2023, 04:11 PM   #34
chance91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
My car runs with the CSF radiator + the auxiliary water cooler, and there is zero protest from the ECU. Engine is N54 with MT.

I'm guessing it must be the programming for N55's and automatic transmissions...
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to throw in some more information here. It routinely gets to -20 or -30 here. Its cold. We are at 120+ days without breaking 40F.

I put a CSF radiator in my N55 E series since my original cracked and its a good track upgrade, where I head 2-3 times a year.

I have the same issue. Replaced a few parts, same results. I did some digging and logging, watching with MHD, learning in ISTA, and here's what I can tell you:

The DME has a "temp map" that it follows, based on operating time and outside temp, where it expects the engine temp to be. When the CSF radiator overcools in the winter, the engine doesn't get up to temp, and the DME decides there must be a fault in either the wiring or temp sensor, or the thermostat. The codes 293E and 348A - Thermostat clamped open indicates the ECU thinks this, and is going to run the water pump and fan wide open.

If you monitor this in MHD, especially after 4-5 starts with code set, the temperature will increase by exactly 2 degrees over a set amount of time. You may reset the code, briefly see temps more in the 100* range, followed by it shooting up to whatever it was at last count.

Thus far, the only solution I know of is a grille block like some old diesel truck. A partial block of the kidneys reduces airflow, and allows the car to run at reasonable temps. I tried this on an 8hour trip last week with temps from -15 to about 30, and it works well.

Still looking into custom tune options to improve the cooling management in winter, even if we delete the code in the tune the temp needs to come up to operate efficiently.

Hope this helps.
2005 MX-5 LS swap
Appreciate 0