View Single Post
      11-29-2006, 10:02 AM   #9
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Much chance of anyone starting a site called www.6addicts.com? I think not. SUVs are popular, but are people really passionate about them? Maybe some off-roaders, X-Terra types.

BMW would be crazy to put too much emphasis on the launch of an R-series competitor (apparently sales of the Mercedes R-series have been dull, at best) at the expense of a revival car like the 1/2-series.

The 2er, I think, will be a revival car. Much like the MX-5, the Beetle and the Mini, but with the authenticity of the 2002. It will be a BMW, of course, so it won't be differentiated from the BMW image like the Beetle and the Mini are from their parent-companies. But it will really provide the market with something the market is screaming for, in the same way it was screaming for an affordable roadster when the MX-5 was launched in 1989. The 2er will be a sporty, high performance, yet reasonably practical, rear-drive, premium compact that will serve as a very attractive entry-level into the world of BMW. The fact that this site is as successful as it is, only realy on the basis of a rumor, some spy photos and a Europe-only pre-cursor model, is a testament to how much enthusiasts want what the 2er should provide. If we can discuss this much about a car we haven't even seen, imagine the popularity of this site once the 2er is launched! That's why BMW needs to launch this car and it is proof that, as good as the Merc and Audi offerings are in the premium compact segment are, they are not good enough to distract enthustists from what the 2er will be...

The X6 won't do any of this. It will only provide another high-priced option to Moms and Dads that want to cart their kids around in an "Ultimate Driving Machine". Actually, I'm not sure how it will adequately differentiate itself from the X5.

BMW would be crazy to let the 2er slide in favor of the X6...

Very good points on all fronts, and I agree and think you are correct on each and every point.

But there is one problem, from a dollar manager's perspective, the X6 is more important then the 2 series, since it would be a MUCH higher profit vehicle. Even moreso if it brings in more SUV sales to BMW from the infiniti FX, supercharged rover, etc.. crowd to augment its X5 sales. From that point of view, the X6 is just as if not more important then the 2 series.

Im always afraid the marketing department at BMW is way too powerful, especially since BMW is always on edge of being bought out since its so small comparativly (one of the reasons for BMWs entire entrance into the previously unthinkable SUV market).

So yes, the 2series is the real enthusiast car, with all the sports credibility to go with it, but the almightly dollar might push it back on the agenda?

As I said, just thought aloud... depressing thoughts...